Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Susan's Graduation




Sorry for the delay in posting these pictures. I know many of you have been waiting for news of Jon's trip to West Virginia (and Susan's college graduation).
So let's get to it!


Jon left early Thursday morning and arrived in Beckley, West Virginia after about 15 hours of driving. He went alone this time because our kids are still in school and we will all be making a second trip to Beckley next week... for David's highschool graduation.



Susan's graduation was in two parts. Friday night was a "Master's Hooding", and Saturday was the actual graduation ceremony.


Susan's future in-laws, the Johnstons, attended both events. This was Jon's first time meeting Jay's parents, and he was impressed with how warm and friendly they seemed.



Pictured above right: Susan's fiance Jay Johnston, Jay's mother Sharon, Susan with her arm around Jay's grandmother Pauline, and Jay's father David.





Susan has worked very hard to complete her Physician's Assistant program-- and at age 22 is the youngest of her class of 400. She now officially has a master's degree from Mountain State University, though she is still finishing up the last couple weeks of testing.










David finding a seat in the auditorium...








Apparently a bag piper was part of the ceremony.
(Can you spot Susan in the crowd at left?)







This shot's a little blurry, but that's Susan accepting her honors.







Hard to believe that she is now an official medical professional! We are so proud of her accomplishment, and of the kind but determined young woman Susan has become.







Here she is with some of her good friends from school: Michelle, Ashley, and Ashlee.










Michelle and Susan (if I'm remembering the story right, Susan met Jay through her friendship with Michelle).






Jon must be telling a good story here...



Susan with Jay and her brothers David and Logan.








.


After the graduation, Jon joined Susan, Jay, Cyndi and Vincent, and Jay's parents for a meal at Smokey on the Gorge.


This photo gives you an idea of the restaurant's spectacular setting. It overlooks the New River Gorge Bridge and miles of wooded hills and valleys.




The restaurant had a spacious lodge feel...













Susan cozying up to Jay at the bar.









A few of the views from the restaurant grounds...




















Yes, Susan, you deserve that drink! Congratulations on a job well done. We can't wait to see you next week!!!










5 comments:

Becky Robinson said...

Hi Lisa,
Congratulations on Susan's achievement at MSU. It is so exciting to read about her accomplishments. I currently do social media work and writing for MSU and I would love to talk to you about interviewing Susan for one of our blogs. You can email me or contact me through facebook www.facebook.com/LeaderTalk.

Anonymous said...

I think the first extended memory I have of Susan was of a little girl of about 7 or 8 (roughly Kenny's age, I guess) picking on me as we drove to or from Cornell on some family function...

Isn't it amazing to watch them grow up!!

Brother Don

Lisa said...

Yes; time flies!!! Susan was Beth's age when I met her. I remember her and David would each sit on one of my legs and insist that I walk with them strapped to my legs! I did it then... but they better not ask me to do it now.

Lisa said...

Sit on my feet and hold onto my legs, that is!

jkbinturkey said...

Congrats Susan and David! Great milestones and accomplishments!

John