Thursday, February 23, 2012

Grandma and Grandpa Bragg: Memories of Them and Their House

This "special edition" of my blog is dedicated to memories of my dad's parents and their place by the Flambeau River in Ladysmith. I want to record these memories in case my kids are interested someday, but also I'd like to put them out there to invite any of my older cousins or other Bragg relatives to reminisce and maybe share some of their own memories as well. I just wish I could remember more-! Please forgive the gaps and inconsistencies in my memory; I was a kid, afterall...

While they were living, we made the trip to visit Grandma and Grandpa about once a month, I'd guess. It seemed like a very long drive, but Rhinelander's only about an hour and a half from Ladysmith, so it wasn't actually that bad. Eventually we'd pull into town and drive past the familiar landmarks... a big park and playground on the right, a Dairy Queen (?) where the road bends, and old parked train cars by the grocery store. Their place was beyond town, out in the country. We'd get to their gravel driveway and drive down, as I recall. We'd see the garage first... it was surprisingly far from their house.

Then the house! It was white with green (or black?) trim. It felt like we entered through the back (side) door, because the front of the house was facing out toward the river and yard. So we would enter and pass through a hall where there was a large black and white aerial photograph of the property hanging on the wall. We spent a lot of time looking at that photograph. It was pretty impressive.

The center of the house-- my favorite room-- was their living room, which I remember as having hardwood floors, white walls, and a large oval-shaped, green rag rug (that Grandma made) spread out in front of the fireplace. There was a clock on their fireplace mantel that chimed the hour, and a straight-backed ornate wooden chair with green velvet upholstery to the right. They had a color TV in that corner (years before we had a color TV). As I recall, the color was imperfect and had kind of a greenish tint; I remember trying to tune in a better color for them.

There was a large covered stereo and record player that looked like a piece of furniture. Resting on it (or near it?) was a beautiful Gone-With-the-Wind style hurricane lamp. It had two round white globes painted with roses.

Their chair and couch were olive green and kind of flat and modern-looking. There was a wooden stool in the living room that had knotty legs and a primitive style.

In between the living room and the dining area there was a toybox. I wish I could remember all of the toys-! I remember that I loved knowing what I was going to find in that box... they were always the same toys but we didn't see them often enough for them not to be special and interesting. My favorite was a little tile puzzle... you had to slide the tiles left and right, up and down, in order to put together the image (wish I could remember what the image was). There was also a colorful metal top with a wooden handle that you had to push up and down before sitting back and letting it spin. And there was a Raggedy Ann and Andy book with wonderful pictures.

I don't remember it directly, but in photographs there was a hutch with blue and white dishes in it in the dining area, as well as copper molds hung on the walls of the kitchen. It's funny because I don't remember getting the idea from Grandma Bragg, but those are things that looked classic and familiar to me, and I display them prominently in my home.

Grandma's kitchen had real wood paneling, narrow like beadboard and piney-looking, if I remember right. The overall effect was dark and warm, but there was a window over the sink that added a lot of light and cheer. There was a breakfast bar / counter with stools pulled up to it. She had pictures on the wall of bowls of fruit and something with a dog in it, I think.

To the side of the kitchen area was a sitting nook with  a couple of wooden chairs. They were straight-backed table chairs, with woven seats. There was a picture on the wall there of Aunt Carol when she was a girl-- her and her horse. She had a secret smile and wavy reddish hair... she was beautiful, fresh-faced, and free, and I wondered about her.

Down a little hallway was a utility room, on the right. All I remember about that room is that it was packed with things, that there was a guitar hanging on the wall, and that there was a little daybed in there with two cylindrical pillows that looked like candy wrapped in paper. I was very impressed with those pillows :).

To the left was Grandpa's room. We weren't supposed to go in there but I remember he had a great, masculine-looking dresser with a tall narrow mirror and all kinds of interesting drawers. Sometimes he would go in there and open one of the drawers and pull out polished rocks to show us.

Grandma's room was larger, with a white bedspread (the kind with bumpy raised dots in a design... is that chenille?). There was a big stuffed animal in there... a cat, I think. She had a little blue and white porcelain figurine of a girl feeding ducks on her dresser... I have that figurine now.

To add to all this, there was a xylophone in the basement!

There was a covered deck on the front of the house-- a wonderful outdoor space. Grandma and Grandpa had bird feeders out there... I remember they gave peanut butter to the chick-a-dees. They had these great whimsical wooden stools that were painted a limey green and looked like mushrooms. The lawn was large and spacious. There was a stone structure (a former barbeque?) in the yard that had been rebuilt into a shrine, with a statue of the Virgin Mary. She was behind an enclosure but I loved to look at her because she was standing at the top of a set of stairs that were perfectly to scale for her. It was like she could have been real, could have walked up those tiny steps.

There were trees around the edge of the yard that mostly obscured the view of the river, but you could see it in places. The house was situated high in relation to the river; in order to get to the water you had to walk down a winding trail. But we were hardly ever allowed to go down by the water, and never alone; people had drowned in the river, so we were expected to stay up by the house.  But that was okay... we'd play croquet on the lawn or look for arrowheads by the field.

Another place we could go was to Grandpa's little hidden stream that flowed in the woods on the other side of the lawn. In the shade of the trees you could cross the stream over a little bridge... where there was a tin cup hanging, for drinks. So fun; NOTHING tastes better than cold stream water on a hot day.

I don't remember a lot about Grandpa Bragg... mostly visual impressions. I remember him being outside and wearing a straw hat with sunglasses clipped over the top of his regular glasses. He often had an unlit cigarette in his mouth; he'd quit years ago, but wasn't ready to give up the habit of having the cigarette nearby.

Sometimes he had a bag of chocolate stars in his pocket. He'd always share.

He liked to polish stones and make jewelry. I have a tiny bracelet he gave me; hard to believe my wrist was ever that small! He also liked to carve and paint wooden birds, for Christmas ornaments. I'm sure every one he made is now somebody's family treasure; I have one and I think my parents have a couple more.

I remember Grandma and Grandpa called each other "Laddy" and "Lassie".

Grandma Bragg was more formal than my other grandma; she had been a school teacher, so expected good behavior from young people. But I remember her spending a lot of time playing cards with us (rummy), teaching us to count and keep track of sets. When I was learning to write her and I exchanged letters in the mail. I knew she had travelled to China and other interesting places with her sister, after her children had grown. She had lots of great books in the house... hardcover sets she had probably purchased one at a time. She quilted, knitted afghans, and tatted lace. I remember wonderful meals... beef roast and peppery creamed potatoes. Also chocolate cake with coffee in the frosting.

I remember in later years, when they lived in a smaller house in town, that she had nice plants, including violets and ferns. Some of her plants were hung by strings of colorful beads... a Bohemian detail that caught my eye.

She wore a brooch pinned to her shirt; I don't remember if she wore other jewelry. I don't think so.

I don't remember much more than that. There were a few big family get-togethers at Grandma and Grandpa's... I remember lots of cousins, especially the Voss cousins. Jean, Elaine, and Rosie, who were closest to me in age, and the ones who played with us the most. All the older Voss girls seemed very glamorous back then, athletic and beautiful with long straight hair. I remember playing baseball (or watching it be played) in the field by Grandma and Grandpa's house.

When you're a kid and go places, visiting people, you take it for granted that those people and places will always be there. An hour and a half car ride to Ladysmith feels like forever; you have no idea how quickly ten years will go by... or how many changes will occur in that span.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the detailed memories that you do, Lisa...I know they had birdseye maple flooring, but only because Dad told me, and recently gave me some of the leftover flooring, which I keep for future projects...

Brother Don

Susan said...

It was funny reading through this post because as I read, I remembered the stories you used to tell us about your family... most specifically, the tin cup by the stream. And as that came to memory, it was almost as if it was MY memory of the tin cup by the stream. Wonderful memories :)

MIchael Bragg said...

Oh, Lisa -- thank you so much! I've jotted down a half-dozen things to add, but will have to do that later -- not enough time right now. And also, you have reminded me that I have let my blog languish for many years after making just a bare beginning. Time to get back to that. For what it's worth, it's "A Bragg Familiography" (I think I made up that word) at braggfamilyjournal.blogspot.com -- inspired by your dad's example!

Lisa said...

Don, you have a treasure! But of course no one would understand the value of the flooring more than you, and you will use it well!

I'm sure that my being older than you has a little to do with my remembering more.

Susan, isn't that funny how memory works? A lot of times I'll think I have a memory and here it's just that I've seen a photograph. But I'm glad I shared the tin cup memory with you; you kids were always so eager for stories!

Mike, I can't wait to hear your other details. And I'm glad you liked this. Don't you wish you could go back and time and zoom all around the place, see every detail just as it was?

MIchael Bragg said...

Oh, and the tin cup by the brook IS my memory too, and how wonderful that cold water was. Only time in my life I remember drinking water just for the TASTE of it!
When we visited the farm with your dad in 2002 during our reunion trip, I just about had tears over that stone barbeque with BVM's statue in the glass case!
Other memories: learning how rocks are polished with Grandpa's tumbler and all grades of grit in the basement... "forking" frogs by the dozen where the brook joined the river (catch and release, no frog was injured in the making of that summer fun)... Sharing Grandpa's hostility toward snapping turtles and having him teach me how to plink them when they came to the surface with a .22 pistol (lousy aim, they were safe)... feeding sugar cubes and apples to the old horse (was the name Casey?) ... Getting my first "driving lesson" at the age of nine, on the International Harvester Farm-All (what a rush)...I remember the symbol of having arrived from the zillion mile trip from Chicago, was driving over the metal strip across the top of the driveway, meant to alert to stray cows... Further driving lessons at the old age of 12, with our brand new 1960 white-over-red Rambler, on those gravel back roads (In 2002 I was actually saddened to see they had been paved)... the telephone was a party line (Bragg = 3-rings, if I remember right), and the phone would jingle everytime there was a nearby lightning strike during T-storms. Grandma put up the BEST raspberry preserves, and one of the biggest treasures of the year was being sent back to Chicago with a half-dozen jars... at about age 13, being taken to a dance by Noel and Chuck who were all-grown-up, but maybe only a few years older... shining deer on the way home...getting a big lesson in the strength of a big family, when, standing around in the dining room, word came that John Amadeus Racanelli had just been born with special needs, but with all the love in the world... going back farther (age 5 - 6) staying for one or two times in the older farmhouse, while the newer ranch-style house was being built... coming back the next year to see the old house was no longer standing (a windstorm I think? fuzzy on that). And one of the biggest prizes of all: being taken trapping and relocating beaver by Uncle Don, part of his job duties. Being used as the flagman on a back road while he detonated a beaver dam with 14 sticks of dynamite -- the coolest thing in the world to an 11-year-old boy. Maybe more memories will bubble up. But we were such a rich family to have had all those experiences.

MIchael Bragg said...

One more thing: Once in high school and once each in two different colleges, I responded to an assignment to write "expository prose" by writing a 500 page paper on the experience of sitting on the front steps looking toward the Flambeau, just at the moment of sunset. And becoming aware of the fact that for that minute, all of nature's sounds stopped; the wind died down, and all of creation observed that event quietly; before picking up again, with the slightly different sounds of early evening. Same paper, three times, two A's and an A-. But don't tell the teachers about my recycling...

MIchael Bragg said...

Clancy, not Casey ... the horse's name was Clancy!

Lisa said...

Mike, what great memories you have-! So glad you wrote them down... I'll have to check out your blog soon! But first a busy weekend of kids in tournaments :).

Lisa said...

PS: I don't remember Clancy, but I remember their dog Jock.

donna bragg fairchild said...

Lisa, this is your cousin, Donna Bragg Fairchild. You have lots more memories than I do of the household interior decoration. I was there only a few times compared to you. Your 90 minute ride to Ladysmith-- took a whole day for us. Still, Ladysmith was my favorite place to visit. I had forgotten about that toy box. I don't remember seeing it opened more than once. However, I do remember that the refrigerator door opened both ways. I loved that and would sometimes open it twice just to see it open to the left and open to the right. Also, Grandma Bragg had a large pair of dice hanging up on her bedroom wall. I too loved the spring. That is what we referred to it as. All this time I thought it was a spring. Was I wrong? The water that came out of that spring and the kitchen faucet was also, for me, the best water I have ever tasted. After Grandma Bragg died, I tasted the water that came out of the faucet in the house she was living in at her time of death. It too tasted great.

Lisa said...

Donna,

So good to hear from you! I can't believe I forgot about the refrigerator door opening two ways, but now that you mention it I think I remember that. Don't remember the dice, though. Isn't it funny what our minds pick and choose to remember?

The water around the yard must have originated from a spring, but I thought Grandpa did something to channel its flow... but I don't know for sure and will have to ask Dad next time I see him.

Lisa

Don L. Bragg said...

The double-hinged refrigerator door was built by Philco. The door was very funtional and reliable. However, it was simple to remove to allow for servicing or squeezing through narrow hallways and kitchen doors. A competing manufacturer actually sabotaged a live-TV showing of the double action Philco refrigerator door by releasing the opposing door latches. Then when the V-styled door handle was pulled, the entire door fell to the floor while viewers were watching. The moral or this is: You don't have to be in politics to be mean!