Thursday, July 26, 2007

Be glad you're not a tomato plant

It's a hot one! This week has been sweltering, but only today did I remember to water my tomato plants. Oops. I've been watering the neighbor lady's flowers all week while she's away, but for some reason this activity did not get me thinking about my own plants. Still, they're alive and growing despite my attention lapse.

The kids started summer school this week. They have two thematic English and math classes that keep them busy from 8:30 am to 11:45 am. I've been using the free time to exercise and run errands... kind of nice. Tonight they have soccer games. Hopefully it will have cooled off by then.

It's tempting to skip soccer on hot days like this, but good attendance really helps the team. When everyone shows up, no one person has to play the entire game; kids are rotated and have more chances to rest and drink water.

David's West Virginia family picked him up yesterday afternoon. We said our goodbyes but will probably see him briefly Saturday, for the Hurlburt family reunion. Every year the descendants of Harry and Ruth Hurlburt (Jon's grandparents) have a picnic on the last weekend of July. Strangely enough, Jon will not be attending the reunion, but I will. He has to work Saturday, and I'm picking up David and bringing Mikey and Emma as well. I like Jon's family so enjoy these events. Besides having lots of good food, everyone brings items to donate and we have an auction. Money raised goes into a family fund that is used to do charitable things around Cornell. I know one year they bought a city park bench and set up a memorial to Harry and Ruth.

Laurie sent me some fun pictures from a recent trip that she, Mom, John and Bill made to Circus World in Baraboo. I'm posting a few of my favorites, since Laurie doesn't have a blog (yet) to post them on. Enjoy!

4 comments:

jkbinturkey said...

Ahem ... for blog stuffing purposes, I thought I had secured EXCLUSIVE rights to Laurie's Baraboo pictures ... Just kidding, although you will see a repeat off Laurie's tiger pic on my blog (which has just been updated). Less than three weeks until the Brewer game!

JoJoke

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel like a tomato plant in my apartment. i just found about a maze in an arboretum in st. paul. could be interesting to take the kids to!

Anonymous said...

from bill above

Lisa said...

John, we're looking forward to the big game, too! See you soon! And Bill, hope you don't mean you feel like a tomato plant because I'm neglecting you, as well!

Big Sis