Friday, October 5, 2007

Optical Oddities


You may recall from an earlier post that Michael received his first pair of glasses at the start of the school year. The eye doctor said that his problem was mild and that he only needed to wear the glasses when looking at the board at school or maybe when watching TV.

Michael's been keeping the glasses in his desk at school and faithfully wearing them about 3 hours a day, during board time. But his teacher had contacted me to let me know that she was having trouble getting him to keep the glasses on. I thought maybe he was embarrassed about the glasses and trying to avoid wearing them, so asked him about it.

During my conversation with Michael it came out that he did not think the glasses helped him see better and that they in fact started bothering him after he wore them a couple of hours. I explained to him that when I first put glasses on as a child, I was immediately impressed by the improvement and could see all kinds of details I had never seen before. Michael said it was never like that for him and that he thought the glasses were helping him in some kind of abstract way that wasn't obvious to him (like taking a medicine where you don't feel immediate results). Since Michael is usually a very truthful and obedient child, I set up a second eye appointment, at a different eye doctor.

This second doctor determined that not only does Michael NOT need glasses, but his vision is better than 20/20. Michael had also passed an eye screening at school last week, as well as passed an eye screening he had at the doctor's office for his physical (I didn't let either of those screenings discredit the first eye doctor, though, because they aren't as thorough and are meant to detect more serious vision problems).

So I don't know if we were deliberately deceived or Michael just gave some misleading answers during the doctor's tests, but Michael has been wearing unnecessary glasses for about a month now. I'm upset about it and plan on taking our eye business elsewhere. I have a sneaking suspicion that the eye doctor was taking advantage of our good eye insurance. We paid $40 out of pocket, but the glasses cost $225 and the exam was over $80. I paid $45 cash for the second opinion, and that was the total cost of the exam (about half the price of the first exam).

Things that make you go hmmm...










No comments: