Monday, August 24, 2009

Lordy I'm Forty (Lulu & Mark Visit)



Happy Birthday to me...

You may view the 40 year-old version of my self at left. If you squint carefully you will find I look just the way I appeared in highschool.

I'm standing under a willow tree with my 10 year-old son Michael. We ducked under the canopy of this fine old tree yesterday while exploring the shore of Lake Superior.

Our trip yesterday-- a day-long trek to Superior and Duluth-- was Jon's birthday/anniversary present to me. Since I am a nerd and since he knows that well, he realized what a treat it would be for me to roam the lakeshore in quest of good rocks for my "collection".


I'm also going to give him credit for being a romantic. After all, it was fourteen years ago (this August 19th) that we were married... and our honeymoon took us on a week-long drive around Lake Superior.

We really haven't been back since.
We'd come to Duluth about 10 years ago, when Jon and Brent competed in Duluth's big in-line skating marathon. But there were other things to do on that trip besides look for rocks.

I think WE ALL had a good time kicking up the shore yesterday for treasure... I mean, who wouldn't?!? The kids and I came away with pockets full of pebbles, driftwood, beach glass... even the broken chip of a flower pot (in archaeology that's known as a shard, Don).






Emma wasn't feeling well on the trip (stomach flu). We had an unfortunate incident involving vomit right by the front door of a restaurant (we let them know so they could clean it up right away... didn't think it would look good for business). But otherwise Emma was a traveling trooper.


Leila's been feeling fine these days, but she wasn't real cooperative on the trip. She doesn't
seem to travel as quietly as the other kids did when they were her age.

Michael got his educational fix at the aquarium in Duluth. It features a new building with some impressive displays of Great Lake fish (which, by the way, can become massive in size). The


exhibits are interactive and educational, many aimed at getting kids engaged with what they're looking at.


For example, there was a kid-height model of the lock-system used to transport ships through the Great Lakes. Kids could wear aprons and get elbow-deep in the water. They could maneuver plastic boats through the model and see for themselves how locks adjust the water level so boats can travel through.





This display was a big hit with Leila, though I'm not sure she appreciated all the finer points of lock travel.


I think mostly she liked the splashing.







Another interactive display involved "petting" aquariums, where people are allowed to touch the fish.


Have YOU ever touched the back of a sting ray??


This picture confirms that we have!






It was a fun way to cap off my birthday/anniversary week. Things had already opened with a bang when Laurie and Mark came for an impromptu visit.


I love my sistah-!





We have a few simple rules when folks like these come to visit...

1) Anyone who visits us must walk up a big hill to view our neighbor's farm.


2) They should admire our calves, horse, and chickens.



3) They should then admire our flowers and garden.


4) While admiring the garden, they should listen to my Bear Story. Bonus points are given if they ask interested questions or compliment me on my bravery.


5) Depending upon how clean our house is, they may or may not be given a full tour of our home.


6) If a visitor is named Mark Valaskey, that visitor should help grill the food.

7) Overnight guests sleep downstairs on an air mattress. If we like them we feed the cat BEFORE everyone turns in for the night.

8) We offer a wake-up service for late sleepers. The wake-up service is operated by Emma, Michael, and Leila and involves NOISE.

9) Any pictures taken during your visit will probably end up on my BLOG.

Which reminds me of a funny story...

Why did the chicken cross the road? (Laurie and Mark, you knew this was coming).

To get away from Mingo and Lily who really, really like to chase chickens!!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Lisa, what a nice day you spent in Duluth area.
Sally

Anonymous said...

Technically speaking, a "shard" is a broken piece of glass, while a "sherd" or "potsherd" is used to refer to a broken piece of pottery, so unless that flower pot was glass, your definition is off just a bit...

Brother Don

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs. Keep them coming!! I want to come out and get the whole tour of the house before it snows. Take care, Shelley Dejongh

Lisa said...

Sally: "Thanks; it was fun!"

Don: "Doh-!" (Alternate response: "Sherd, shmerd and maybe even turd")

Shelley: "Come any time! Now you know the drill!"

Brent said...

Happy belated 40th! Kristen & I were in Duluth a week earlier for the Blues Festival. My favorite place to visit is the Lake Supeior Zoo in West-Duluth. Fantastic selection of animals including snow leopards and polar bears. It is more fun in the Winter than any other time.

Lisa said...

Brent, we'll have to check that zoo out! Thanks for the tip.