Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Computer Wizards Save the Day

Well, you don't have to read about my computer woes any longer! The fix-it guys at Computer Wizards worked out the bugs, so the Bragg-Hurlburt household is back on-line. It cost $75, but for that they also replaced a fan that wasn't working properly, so I consider the price fair. I have no doubt it saved us hours more of frustration.

Monday night we had our end-of-year picnic for Boy Scouts, and last night we had our last Girl Scout event. I must say it's a relief to see things wind down for the end of the school year... now we'll have a couple of weeks with no extracurriculars before swimming lessons and soccer begin mid-June (we'll have to do some visiting of grandparents during this time!). Both kids are going to have a little bit of the summer camp experience, with me and Emma staying overnight together at Camp Nawakwa June 21-22, and Michael doing a Boy Scout day camp the week before. If I can talk Jon into doing overnight Boy Scout camp in July with Michael, his group is doing a 2-night, 3-day stay at Camp Phillips.

The last week of June Michael has theatre camp. That's just a day thing, of course, but it's something Michael was interested in and I'm encouraging, because I'd like to see him develop his ability to work in a group and speak in front of others. Plus it's a creative thing, and he tends to be all factual and scientific-- a worrisome trait, wouldn't you say, Don?

Actually, in July Michael will be taking a science program through the university, while Emma signed up for "Horse Lovers" (also through the university, this program involves some actual horseback riding). Both kids will have thematic English and Math summer classes as well.
In August Emma has gymnastics and Mikey will be in a running club...

That may sound like lots of stuff, but it actually ends up being only a few hours a day, with nothing on Friday or the weekend. So we will still have time to camp and visit family this summer. Also, because we live in the city, and because so many of the neighborhood kids roam aimlessly, looking for things to do, I think it's important to have some structure and help Mikey and Emma explore the world outside our neighborhood. There's too many loose pitbulls and cars and sketchy characters living around us for me to feel comfortable letting them have the freedom and space to roam that we used to enjoy when we played outside in Rhinelander.

Tonight's the last night of my stained glass class. I can't wait to see a finished piece hanging up in my kitchen window. I've dropped some hints to Jon that I plan to buy a few items for home, so I can continue making stained glass. The biggest purchase will be a glass polisher, which starts at about $70. That's not too bad... and I do need to do some things for myself every once and awhile, or I get CRANKY.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun summer! Don't forget about the baseball game.

Jojo

Lisa said...

I won't forget; we're looking forward to it!!

Lisa

William Bragg said...

hey lisa,
give me a call tonight.
- Bill

Anonymous said...

If it ain't science, it ain't diddly-poo!!

Kidding, of course...Kenny's T-ball ends in a couple weeks, then nothing major until he starts kindergarten in the fall, and the baby comes.

I'm actually taking a couple weeks in June to volunteer for an archeological dig a few hours from here. You'll definitely be seeing more on this on our blogsite!

Brother Don