Monday, March 30, 2009

Emma Mouse (or Leila Gets Hoppy)


Here's Emma dressed up as a mouse for her Destination Imagination performance on Saturday.

For the past few months, Emma-- along with a group of first and second-graders from her school-- has met weekly to plan and practice a skit for the DI competition. The competition was held this Saturday in Chippewa Falls, and included kids from around the state.

The skit itself was less than five minutes long, but a big ordeal for Emma. She was the narrator and (she confided to me) had one of the starring roles. Despite a few pre-performance jitters, the group took the stage in front of a roomful of competitors, judges, and parents... including Jon, who was able to make it home for the weekend to see Emma shine in her big moment.

And they did well. I don't know whether the judges actually pick a "winner", but if they do that part was down-played. All the kids were given blue ribbons after their performances, and there were lots of happy faces and a general feeling of accomplishment.

Jon should be home most weekends, now. We thought he was going to have to work this weekend, but things are winding down and they're ahead of schedule.
So we started raking flower beds this weekend. It was fun to scratch away piles of oak leaves and assorted garden debris and find green shoots poking up out of the earth. The strawberry plants are coming back to life along the front of our house and tulip stems are unfolding from the row of bulbs in the backyard. The robins are out and there are buds on the trees. The lawn is tinged with green.

It's muddy but getting drier. We were able to walk and 3-wheel on our trails this weekend.



Leila's first birthday is approaching fast. She'll be one on Saturday, and has already begun morphing into a very busy toddler. She does something new and precious almost daily.

A few days ago, while changing her, I heard her SING. Now, I've suspected that she was singing before, but this time was significant in that I recognized the word "happy" (or as she says it, "hoppy") and could identify the song. She was repeating a word from You Are My Sunshine (a song Emma sings quite frequently). The complete words, of course, are "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are gray". Now, I'm not claiming that Leila sang all that... all she was saying was "hoppy, hoppy". But I knew what she meant! And when I sang the full song to her, her face lit up as if to say "You understand me, Mom!"

She also gives hugs. But you have to work at it and she has to be in the mood. So far I'm the only one who's been on the receiving end of a Leila Hug (for some reason, she seems partial to me :).



Other accomplishments? Well, she pulls herself up to standing and will hover on two legs, unsupported, for a few happy seconds before sinking back down onto her bottom.

I've done a bit more baby-proofing around the house, so electrical cords and outlets are no longer the problem-- but her naughty focus has shifted to seeking out pet food and other "ackies"... like the little white caps on the bottom of the toilet. Apparently these things look delicious to her. Other "yummy" treats include tufts of cat fur, loose strings, and unpopped popcorn kernels.

I've taken to vacuuming daily.

Today (Monday), after the kids went to school, I got a phonecall from Mom wondering if her and Dad could come over for a visit. Leila and I were happy to have the company, so welcomed them here about lunch time. We had a nice visit and Mom and I (along with Leila) managed to sneak away into town while Dad napped-- for a little shopping. Mom forgot her purse so was forced to allow me to buy some little knick-knacks for her (an early Mother's Day gift). She was reluctant to let me spend any money, but SOMEBODY had to buy the teapot and the porcelain spoons. I mean, people NEED teapots and porcelain spoons, right??
Hee hee.
Anyway, happy spring!!








1 comment:

jkbinturkey said...

You're such a good writer! Leila will have a very well documented babyhood for posterity's sake ... Check out my blog update today!
See you this weekend.

Jojo